Help notes have been developed for the following survey types:
Help notes are available for each category of heritage asset that is included in the project. Registered users can also download them here.
We are also developing a 'Good Maintenance Guide for Historic Buildings' that will soon be available to download.
- How much detail should I go into when commenting on a building?
- The size of the comments fields are limited to 255 characters (once they have been uploaded to our system) so try to be concise in your comments. Also, you only need to mention things that are wrong with the building and not everything that is right with it; we will assume everything is okay if you don't mention anything. Feel free to e-mail us about additional information that you have on a building that may be of interest.
- What should I do if I have problems with the website?
Contact the project staff immediately and we will try to help. Don't keep trying to work through a problem as we don't want you to waste any of your time.
- How do I know which assets are left in my area that need to be surveyed?
- You can contact the project staff and they will provide you with a list of all the assets that still need to be surveyed in a parish. A list of all the fully completed parishes can be found on the downloads page.
- Why are there are no special interest events in my part of the county?
- We have not used the same venue more than once for one of these events and have distributed them around the county as best as possible. If you would like an event in your area let us know and we will try to organise something if there is sufficient interest.
- I feel isolated and would like to get to know other heritage stewards, what can I do?
- We will soon ask for people who would like to form a group and attempt to put them in contact with other Heritage Stewards in their area. You can also link up with an experienced Heritage Steward via the Heritage Steward Buddy Scheme.
- Why is some of the information provided on the surveys is incorrect?
- Some of the information, especially in regards to the listed buildings, might have been collected many years ago. None of this information can be changed by the project staff. Record in the HER comments box any information that you consider to be incorrect in regards to the location, name and address of the asset. Record in the listed buildings comments box any information that you consider to be incorrect in the listed building description.
- How many photographs should I submit with my survey?
- A minimum of 1 photo and a maximum of 10 photos should be attached to each survey. A maximum of 20 photos should be attached to a conservation area survey (although you may wish to submit additional photos on a CD).
- Is it okay to go onto someone's property if they are not at home?
- No. Only go onto someone's property if you have their permission to do so.
- What should I do if I someone asks me what I am doing while out surveying?
- Be kind and courteous and explain what you are doing and the aims of the project. All trained Heritage Stewards will also have a 'letter to owners' that they can show that contains information on the project. You can also refer the person to the project staff and we will be happy to answer any questions.
- What should I do if I have problems completing the surveys?
- After training, submit 5 surveys and the project staff will check these and provide feedback where necessary. Project staff also provide feedback when they validate a batch of surveys from more experienced Heritage Stewards. Also, please feel free to contact the project staff at anytime if you have any particular queries.